Motion Sickness - the music blog

Why motion sickness? I don't know. It's not like I literally get "nausea and dizziness induced by motion, as in travel by aircraft, car, or ship". Really, damn it, doesn't life sometimes feel like it moves too quickly where you may have to step outside for a second to unload? Yeah, I hear ya. This is why I listen to music!

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Where to go...who to see?

Here's the thing:

I need some advice if you have it. Don't be scared, write a comment!

Three of my friends and I are itchin' to get out of this city for a little while and do a little sight seeing. I'm under the impression that they, like me, are interested in going anywhere that can be reached my a vehicle in a couple of days and would like to go somewhere that is hosting an incredible concert. This could, and probably will, include a major festival or event.

Here are some considerations. We seem to be, as of the last few minutes, coming to an agreement on this one in particular.

ESSENCE MUSIC FESTIVAL - July 1-3 - NEW ORLEANS!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This one sounds hot. I love most of the lineup...minus a couple of them (ahem...Black Eyed Peas, Ruben Studdard, Lionel Richie)...but it's not like I have to see them. Check out the lineup:

Fri, 07.01.05
Main Stage

Aretha Franklin
Alicia Keys
John Legend
Ruben Studdard
Host: Jonathan Slocumb

Superlounges
The Roots
Vivian Green
Doug E. Fresh & Slick Rick
Bobby Blue Bland
Lyfe


Sat, 07.02.05
Main Stage

Destiny's Child
Kanye West
Teena Marie
Fantasia
Host: Jonathan Slocumb

Superlounges
Floetry
Mint Condition
Jeffrey Osborne
The Spirit Music Jamia with Me'Shell Ndegeocello
Gordon Chambers


Sun, 07.03.05
Main Stage

Maze featuring Frankie Beverly
Lionel Richie
Black Eyed Peas
Mo'Nique
Kem
Host: Jonathan Slocumb

Superlounges
Carl Thomas
Regina Belle
The Wailers
Talib Kweli
Terence Blanchard

Okay, as you can see, I'm excited for this possibility. The Roots (who should NOT be in the superlounge and should have a spot on main stage), John Legend, Kanye, Talib Kweli, Alicia Keys, Aretha, The Wailers, Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick, and Floetry. It's a nice lineup.

The downside? It's so soon. I don't know if we'd be able to make it in time...it's hard enough to coordinate 4 people's lives over a mini-vacation. Funds, time, and organization may take a little longer to work out, but it's not that bad.

My original suggestion was something that gives us a bunch of cities to choose from. De La Soul, Common and John Legend (with Rahzel). It's all over the place and I'd love to see them all together. I saw De La Soul here in Edmonton a couple of years ago and they put on an insane show. They had so much energy and enthusiasm. Plus, after the release of their last album, I'd love to hear some new material live. The thing about this is that it isn't a festival, so they would put on a longer show and it'll be a little more intimate. Plus, it has shows from the middle of July to the end of August.

Anyway, the point of this is to get some advice...has anyone seen any other festivals, shows, concerts that I (and my friends) may be interested in? It doesn't have to be a hip-hop / soul show, it could definitely be something else.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:09 a.m., Blogger Gloria said…

    Good Lord they're heavy on the American Idol endorsements...but to see Aretha would be unreal...

     
  • At 11:27 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.cmj.com/marathon/

    this would be amazing to go to.

    ro.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home