Motion Sickness - the music blog

Why motion sickness? I don't know. It's not like I literally get "nausea and dizziness induced by motion, as in travel by aircraft, car, or ship". Really, damn it, doesn't life sometimes feel like it moves too quickly where you may have to step outside for a second to unload? Yeah, I hear ya. This is why I listen to music!

Thursday, June 16, 2005

MF DOOM story



Hey! I just read this story about MF DOOM (I love wikipedia, check it!) and I thought those who are familiar with his work may find this as entertaining as I did.

-------
Back in 1999 or so I had this party called The Remedy at Fluid in Philly. I booked Doom to do a performance at the spot that spring or so, and so he flew in from Atlanta the day of. I had to drive down from Long Island to pick him up so I trucked the 3 hour journey to get him. This was back when one was allowed to wait for someone at the gate, so off comes Mr. Dumile wearing a straw hat carrying a metal attache case. He was super cool and mellow, and we walked to the exit. At the exit his two boys were there who drove up from Washington D.C. to meet him, one of whichwas his boy Ben who was well over 6'5" and pushing 400 pounds. Everybody was very mellow and we drove to get something to eat, and then I dropped them off at the hotel. Sound check was at 7:30 and so we planned on meeting then. The guys had a full couple of days in store, as Doom was to record with my man King Honey the next day at 1026.

So later on we go to the club and get the sound working. Everything was going according to plan. The club filled up and people we dancing and jamming and all of that, and then around 12:30 AM or so Doom was set to go on, performing from inside the DJ booth. He was quiet and polite, pensive even. I was manning the CD player that had all his tracks on it, and was working the mixing board. Doom opened up his metal attache case and pulled out the Doom Mask. He put it on and - this is no exaggeration - underwent an amazing transformation right in front of my eyes. Dude stopped being Daniel Dumile and BECAME DOOM. Gone was the quiet, humble, unnasuming, polite person who was standing next to me, and now was this ferocious monster which was the Metal Faced Villian. He really became the character. The show was going great and everybody was really getting down, and Doom was really putting on a great show, and the villian was in full effect - right down to the way he was cursing me (as "the sound man") on the mic. Kurious was in the house and they did the song they have together on "Doomsday" and it tore the house down.

Towards the end of the show, Doom asked the crowd to give a moment of silence to Subroc. Everyone complied except for these 2 Camden cats who used the opportunity to razz Doom and talk $hit loudly. Doom didn't really do anything to react to it, continued the performance for about 1 or 2 more songs, and at the end of the last song, ripped off his face mask, pointed at the 2 guys in the crowd and said (in the most insane, disturbing manner you could imagine) "HI!" He then jumped from the DJ booth and ran through the swarms of the crowd with his metal attache case in hand, followed by Kurious and Big Ben, hot on the heels of the now running Camden kids.

I had to man the decks and so I wasn't outside to witness what happened next, but according to what I was told, Doom cornered the kids in the alley and started smacking the fools with the attache case, while Curious and Ben were going off on the other fools. They had clearly whooped their asses, not badly, but definitely enough to get the point across, and at that point the police rolled up. They asked what was happening and if everything was alright and Big Ben, with his arms wrapped around someof teh Camden kids replied "Everything is under control, officer."

The next day we all met up at the studio for the recording session. Doom had a whole rhyme written out beforehand, but that morning he had decided to scrap the lyrics and make new ones up on the spot, particularly involving the description of smacking fools with a metal attache case. The song came out blazing, and when King Honey asked me what I thought of it I told him that it was amazing, and that they should name the song "Monday Night At Fluid."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home